Re: Linux distro - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Owen Hartnett
Subject Re: Linux distro
Date
List pgsql-general
At 4:52 PM +0200 8/1/07, Leif B. Kristensen wrote:
>On Wednesday 1. August 2007 16:15, Madison Kelly wrote:
>
>>/Personally/, I love Debian on servers.
>>
>>It's not quite as 'hardcore' as Gentoo (a great distro, but not one to
>>start with!). It's the foundation of many of the popular distros
>>(Ubuntu, Mepis, Knoppix, etc) and the Debian crew is very careful
>>  about what they put into the 'stable' repositories.
>
>I agree totally. Debian in a server configuration is quite easy to get
>started with, and is rock solid. My first Linux "test server" (my old
>Pentium 133 MHz desktop) way back in 2002 ran Debian Woody. I kept it
>running until it died from old age a couple of years ago. Later I fell
>in love with Gentoo. But if I'd have to run a server with maximum
>stability and uptime, I think that I'd still prefer Debian.

As an alternative viewpoint, I've been running the latest postgres on
Mac OS X Server 10.4, and it's been great for me.  It was my first
time using a server, and my first serious use of postgres (although I
have had a lot of previous unix experience.)  All the power of unix,
all the ease of the Macintosh (and it's server installation gives you
lots of great things for free and already installed - granted most is
publicly available, but it's already installed and ready for use
that's the big advantage).  Not only that, but I can run windoze in
Parallels (or even Boot Camp if I desired).

-Owen